Submit Manuscript  

Article Details


Multidrug-Resistance Genes in Pseudomonas aeruginosa from Wound Infections in a Tertiary Health Institution in Osogbo, Nigeria

Author(s):

Akinloye Ajibola Oluseye, Adefioye O. Jose, Adekunle O. Catherine, Anomneze Benjamin Udodiri, Makanjuola OB, Onaolapo J. Olakunle, Onaolapo Y. Adejoke and Olowe A. Olugbenga*   Pages 1 - 9 ( 9 )

Abstract:


Background: Multidrug Resistant Pseudomonas aeruginosa (MDRPA) is an ubiquitous opportunistic organism which poses a threat to the management of infections globally.

Objectives: The objectives of the current research were to assess the antibiotic resistance profiles as well as Multiple Antibiotic Resistance (MAR) Index of clinical isolates of P. aeruginosa associated with wound infections. Presence of Extended Spectrum Beta Lactamase genes (bla CTX-M, bla SHV and bla TEM) and Carbapenemase genes (bla KPC and blaNDM) were also determined among the isolates.

Methods: Swab samples were collected from 255 patients with wound infections. Bacterial identification was done by standard diagnostic tests. The identity of isolates were confirmed by detection of the exoA gene using the PCR technique. Antibiotic susceptibility testing and resistance profile was determined using disc diffusion method. Resistance genes were amplified by the PCR method.

Results: A total of 235 (92.2%) bacterial isolates were recovered from the wounds of the 255 patients of these, 124 (52.8%) were Gram-negative bacilli while the remaining 111 (47.2%) were Gram-positive cocci. A total of 69 Pseudomonas aeruginosa strains were recovered from the wound specimens. Imipenem was the most effective antibiotic against these isolates (92.8% isolates were susceptible) while all isolates were resistant to Meropenem, Cefepime, Ticarcillin, Amoxicillin-clavulanic acid, Cefotaxime, Ampicillin and Cefpodoxime. All 69 Pseudomonas aeruginosa isolates were multidrug resistant (MDR). Of the isolates selected for PCR, all were positive for the TEM, CTX-M and SHV genes while, one third was blaKPC and blaNDM producers.

Conclusion: This study demonstrated the a high prevalence of carbapenem-resistant strains of P. aeruginosa. Suggesting that there is an urgent need in Nigeria for the enactment and enforcement of policies and necessary laws restricting the availability and indiscriminate use of antibiotics.

Keywords:

Antibiotic susceptibility, ESBL genes, Carbapenemase genes, Multiple Antibiotic Resistance Index, PCR

Affiliation:

Department of Medical Microbiology and Parasitology, College of Health Sciences, Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Ogbomoso, Department of Medical Microbiology and Parasitology, College of Health Sciences, Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Ogbomoso, Department of Medical Microbiology and Parasitology, College of Health Sciences, Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Ogbomoso, Department of Medical Microbiology and Parasitology, College of Health Sciences, Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Ogbomoso, Department of Medical Microbiology and Parasitology, University College Hospital, U.C.H, Ibadan, Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences, Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, P.M.B. 4400 Osogbo, Department of Anatomy, Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences, Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, P.M.B. 4000 Ogbomoso, Department of Medical Microbiology and Parasitology, College of Health Sciences, Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Ogbomoso



Read Full-Text article